Thursday, September 21, 2017



COMM 130: Interpersonal Communication 

Name: Maria Rebecca E. "Becky" Santos

Who Am I? – 
Communication Styles Reflection



Part 1

1. What was your result(s) on the Communication Styles Assessment?

                         Style                                    Score

                         Ruler                                     10
                      Analyzer                                  16
                        Relater                                   12
                     Entertainer                                  2


2. Do your result(s) align with your personality profile results? Please explain why or why not.

Since no one is perfect and thus have only one best result for either the personality and communication style, I believe the results of both assessments support one another. I chose the top three results of my assessments because the top three scores are numerically close to each other.


My communication styles assessment shows my top three to be:
(http://communicationstyles.org/the-four-communication-styles/)

* Analyzer - According to the Straight Talk Survey, "Thinkers (or in our case, Analyzers) are the world's problem solvers. They ask questions and revel in details. They may miss occasional deadline, but no one is more superbly equipped than the Thinker to think things through."

* Relater - According to the Straight Talk Survey, "Harmonizers (or in our case, Relaters) are quiet, caring people who express pride in the accomplishments of the team. Without them the world would be a far less caring place."

  * Ruler - According to the Straight Talk Survey, "Directors (or in our case Rulers) emphasize action and results. They're great at setting goals. Without the Director's drive, vision, and decisiveness, the world would be a much more static place."


Using the chart below copyright by Dawn L. Billings Inc., the three major primary colors that came out of my personality test are as follows:

* Purple - According to the chart, "You are a master at teaching others to manage time wisely."

* Red - According to the chart, "You are determined to help others Achieve Success."

* Blue - According to the chart, "Focus is your forte. When people are going in circles, you line them out."





3. Examining the list below, what factors in your life may have had an impact on your communication style? Please explain.

The factors in my life that may have had an impact on my communication styles are the following:

* Family - I basically have to take care of two households i.e., my husband and I, as well as my son, daughter-in-law, 11 year old granddaughter and 8 year old grandson. There is only 24 hours in a day, time does not stand still, I cannot rewind the time and so I have to consider all the things/events that is happening today, tomorrow and so on. Prioritize all these happenings and make sure that no one is left out and everything that needs to be done is accomplished properly. You can say that I do my best to be "superwoman". But I also need to set boundaries and say No!

* Age and Career/Job/Work - At my age I should ideally be retired, financially independent and traveling all over the world. Ah yes, in my dreams!

You can say that now it's not only my or my husband's problems, but there are also the problems of my son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren's problems that need to be analyzed and solved.

As an independent contractor with a Broker's license, I also work with Sellers and Buyers of Real Estate properties. In that capacity I see that I need to have all four communication styles since we (Seller, Buyer, Lender, Inspectors, Title Company, other REALTORS, etc...) are all part of a team that work together so we can end up with a win-win transaction.


Part II

1. Who completed the Communication Styles comparison assessment and what relationship do they have to you?

Carlos, my husband completed the Communication Styles Assessment. We got married on
May 31, 1974. To be together for more than 43 years makes him the best person to complete my communication styles assessment.


2. What result(s) did they get?

                    Style                                 Score

                   Ruler                                    8
                Analyzer                                15
                  Relater                                   5
               Entertainer                              12

3. How was it similar or different from your original results?

Both my husband and my assessment showed Analyzer with the highest score. However, Carlos' assessment score for me was closely followed for me as an Entertainer. When I assessed myself, my score as an Entertainer was so low that it was almost out of the scoreboard!

4. Does their result surprise you? Please explain why or why not?

Showing the same result (Analyzer) for the top communication style is no surprise. However for my husband to believe that I have an Entertainer's communication style so close to being an Analyzer is a surprise.

According to the Straight Talk Survey, Expressers (or in our case, Entertainers) are dynamic, dramatic, exciting, engaging, and entertaining. They may not always be organized. But without them the world would be a much less interesting place."

After reviewing this explanation of an Entertainer, I believe that is the perception that my husband gets because depending on who I am communicating with, I am dynamic, dramatic, exciting, engaging, and entertaining. Hmmm, he is probably right but I never considered that as my communication style in my mind.

5. In the end, what do you think this tells you about your communication and its effectiveness?

I thought I know my communication style and I know that my style is work in progress. What I think how I should communicate is not always how it comes out when I am actually communicating. I always need to remind myself to think before I speak or act - that's easier said, than done. Now that I am learning these four styles of communication styles, I see that I do have all four styles depending on the situation.


6. After completing the Communication Styles assessment, is there anything about your communication you would want to change?

Changing for the better is always good. Now knowing the different styles and being able to identify one's communication style right away is ideal. However I should change myself first. Sometimes I am too direct and to the point that words come out before I can properly process in my head how it will affect the other person or what outcome I want to accomplish.

Below is an image from 
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/64/cc/b3/64ccb390c37e1c4a04308794509cb8d8--the-four-agreements-don-miguel-ruiz.jpg of the four agreements that I consider to be helpful.


Thank you for your time reading my 

Who Am I? - Communication Styles Reflection




No comments:

Post a Comment